The Chapel of Saint Petka and the Church Ruzica greeted us with delightful frescoes and mosaics. We drank the holy water and explained the Orthodox tradition of lighting candles for the ill on the upper story and the dead on the bottom.
These vaults are under the Ljubica mansion. Princess Ljubica's husband was Prince Milos, of Serbian independence fame. The Prince never resided here because it was too close to Turkish intrigue. His mansion is out near Topcider Park (where we live). This mansion is in typical Balkans/Turkish style - similar to the home the school has rented for us:)
The Cathedral of St. Michael was built between 1837 and 1840. Vuk Karadzic, reformer of the Serbian language, is buried in the front of the church.
Two Churches and a Princess's Mansion
Hiking the back roads
Walking to the Waterfall
Castle and Cave
Rovinj and Pula
Rabin and Opatija
The Brothers Do the Balkans (main page)
Back to the Serbia page...