Castle Square and the Royal Palace,
rebuilt between 1971 and 1984, are usually the first part of the Old Town
that one sees when walking in from the rest of the town. It is the 'doorway'
into the old town, with several narrow streets leading off it into the
rest of the district. About the only thing left standing after the war
was Zygmont's Column, erected in 1644.